10 Mar Private Adoptions in Texas
Expanding your family is a big decision. When it involves adoption, it can seem larger as you prepare for going through the process and get set up financially. About 135,000 children are adopted in the United States each year.
The adoption process can look daunting from the start. Having an adoption attorney to guide you through the process makes it manageable and ensures that everything is getting filed correctly. Navarrette Bowen P.C. can help you with all of your adoption needs.
There are many steps involved in the adoption process.
- File a petition for extermination and adoption – this begins the process and works to terminate any existing parental rights that exist while starting the adoption.
- Appoint an amicus attorney – this attorney acts as the eyes and ears of the court. They conduct interviews, attend hearings, and give their recommendation for the best interests of the child.
- Social study – social workers come into your home and make sure your home environment is conducive to raising children.
- Affidavits and depositions – these are sworn testaments. Some may speak to your character as a parent.
- Attorney ad litem – this is an attorney that is appointed if the biological parents cannot be found and they still have parental rights.
- Background check – law enforcement will do an extensive background check to ensure that the child is going into a safe home.
Courts will not lightly terminate a parent’s parental rights. Therefore, if the parents cannot be found or they do not want to relinquish their rights, the process becomes a bit more lengthy and complicated.
Once every step is completed, a Decree of Adoption is drawn up and signed, making the adoption official.
Choosing an adoption agency is one of the early important steps. There are adoption agencies that are fully licensed by the state of Texas. While this is not a mandatory requirement, it guarantees that the adoption process will be efficient, ethical, safe, and comply with all the state laws on the adoption of the state.
When choosing an adoption agency, you may want to see how experienced they are and how many placements they have done in the state. Another important question is finding out what resources they have available to help you through the process. You want to feel supported and trust the agency you are with has experienced successful placements. This will only help make your adoption journey easier.
There is a myriad of reasons to adopt. Same-sex couples, those with infertility, people who want to adopt a child rather than carry one, someone who wants to adopt a child they were fostering, or someone who wants to expand their family by adoption are only a few. Whatever your reason, adopting a child is a beautiful thing. Whether or not it is right for you is a question that only you can answer personally. We recommend speaking with professionals within the adoption agency and a family law attorney before taking the leap.
It is no secret that adoption is a complicated process involving a lot of paperwork and some court processes. You do not want to misstep and delay the process even further or worse, need to start over because you missed something. Adoption is a process that you do not want to go through without an attorney.
Navarrette Bowen P.C. has experienced family law attorneys that can help you through the adoption process. Call our office today to schedule a consultation. We are located in downtown Denton and service the surrounding area.